Hello parents of CYO players,
We are preparing for signups for registration for St. Joseph CYO boy’s basketball 2021-2022 fall season. CYO has certain requirements to be eligible to play CYO for any parish. Here are the rules...
CYO Manual page 13-14.
- Parish CYO programs may be open to children who meet one of the following criteria:
- PARISH BOUNDARIES: All children (Catholic or non- Catholic) residing within the parish boundaries, as established by the Bishop of Oakland. [to find parish, use this link, enter your address, and press ENTER/RETURN to see map: https://www.oakdiocese.org/find-parish-school]
- CATHOLIC SCHOOL: All children (Catholic or non-Catholic) who attend the parish parochial school.
- RELIGIOUS EDUCATION: All children (Catholic or non- Catholic) who do not live within the parish boundaries but are currently regularly attending the parish religious education classes and have done so the entire previous school year (or who attended that parish Catholic school the previous school year and are currently regularly attending the parish religious education classes.) Such children must present a letter annually signed by the religious education coordinator certifying regular attendance prior to the beginning of the season. Such children may be removed at any time by the Religious Education Coordinator of the parish for lack of attendance. Under this criteria (c), children may not play for a different parish than the previous season without permission of the parish athletic director from the previous season.
- Children may participate for a parish only if they meet the residence criteria above. Waivers may not be granted by a parish or by a league because of the lack of a program in a parish. Only the Diocesan CYO Office shall determine criteria and may grant permission individually for participation of a Catholic child from a parish too small to host a CYO program.
- The residence of a child is the residence of the parent(s) or guardian(s) with legal custody of the child and with whom the child resides.
- The parish Athletic Director shall provide substantial proof of residence on request of the league or the Diocesan CYO Office.
To meet these requirements, we will put the following process in place soon:
- We will put a link to the registration on the SJ CYO website.
- The link will take you to Blue Sombrero's website, where you will create an account, and sign up. Since this is a new process, you will have to provide all new documentation required for your student-player.
- Since we have to provide substantial evidence, we require that the parent for a non-SJS student upload proof of age (a Birth Certificate, not passport) and residence in boundaries: map and recent utility bill (PGE, Waste Mgmt, prop tax, etc., but not cell phone or cable bill).
- Residence requirement:
- For SJS students, eligibility is established if the school confirms your attendance in the school this year; [1(b) above.]
- For non-SJS students, you need to qualify either by:
- participation this year and last in Religious Education, with letter from Grace in Faith Formation [1(c) above], or
- living in parish boundaries [1(a) above] by scanning and attaching map and acceptable utility bill.
- Age: scan and attach birth certificate. Passports not acceptable as they do not show parent’s names. We need parent’s names on BC and utility bill to match.
- Payment: you will also submit an online payment. The payment will include a handling fee from Blue Sombrero. If we cannot place your player on a team, we will refund your payment minus Blue Sombrero's handling fee. The refund will be handled by check sent to you.
THE LAST DAY FOR REGISTRATION IS SEPTEMBER 10TH!
We are in need of some additional volunteers this season to help review the registration materials for completeness and to separate the forms out by grade and team. Please contact Hiep or Mike to find out how you can help out. "Many hands make light work."