CFABA Parent and Coach Code of Conduct
We, the Cuyahoga Falls Amateur Baseball Association (CFABA), were founded on the several principles including promoting fair play, sportsmanship and good conduct. The organization expects that parents and coaches conduct themselves in accordance with these ideals with the realization that the league is centered around providing a quality experience for children. The children who play in the organization and their physical and emotional well-being must be at the center of all conduct displayed by parents, guests, coaches, umpires, and all those involved with the organization. Therefore, it is expected that everyone will:
1. I will not force my child to participate in sports. I will remember that children participate to have fun and that the game is for youth, not adults.
2. I will inform the coach of any physical disability or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others.
3. I will learn the rules of the game and the policies of the league.
4. I (and my guests) will be a positive role model for my child and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials and spectators at every game, practice or other sporting event.
5. I (and my guests) will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, coach, player, or parent such as booing and taunting; refusing to shake hands; or using profane language or gesture at any time during games, practices, or other official events
6. I will teach my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
7. I will demand that my child treat other players, coaches, officials and spectators with respect regardless of race, creed, color, sex or ability.
8. I will teach my child that doing one's best is more important than winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game or his/her performance. This includes encouraging others on their team for improvement and growth and not contest outcomes.
9. I will never ridicule or yell at my child or other participant for making a mistake or losing a competition.
10. I will emphasize skill development and practices and how they benefit my child over winning. I will allow the manager and coaching staff to develop practices and game lineups that also emphasize skill development.
11. I will respect the officials and their authority during games and will never question, discuss, or confront coaches at the game field, and will take time to speak with coaches at an agreed upon time and place.
12. I will demand a sports environment for my child that is free from drugs, tobacco, and alcohol and I will refrain from their use at all sports events. I will never drink alcoholic beverages, smoke, or chew tobacco at a game or practice, either before the game or at any time while on the premises. These practices are prohibited by State law and by League rules.
13. I will refrain from coaching my child or other players during games and practices, unless I am one of the official coaches of the team.
14. I will not use social media sites to discuss negative opinions about players, coaches, managers, volunteers, and the league
15. I will read and understand the playing rules and program philosophy of the team and age level that my player is participating.
16. I will drop-off and pick-up my player on time for all practices and games. Inform the coach as far in advance as possible of any absence or late arrival that cannot be avoided.
17. I will remain away from the dugouts at all times, unless I have been asked to be there or on the field in an official capacity by a coach, umpire or official.
If an adult is found to be in violation of the code of conduct the following will occur:
- An initial infraction will result in a verbal and written warning will be issued with details pertaining to the infraction
- A subsequent infraction may result in a 1 game suspension. During the suspension the adult is not permitted to be anywhere on the premises, including but not limited to the parking lot, adjacent fields, and any other attached or adjacent properties.
- Additional infractions may involve a season suspension and or permanent league removal.
- Should an adult fail to abide by the actions set forth the Cuyahoga Falls Police will be contacted.
In especially egregious situations there may be immediate, long term, or permanent consequences.