NICEVILLE FLAG FOOTBALL FAQ'S
Why should my child play NFL FLAG?
Plain and simple, flag football is loads of fun. With fewer players on the field, there’s more engagement and a faster speed of play. Games are quick, competitive and every drive counts, especially in tournaments. It’s the version of football you loved playing in your backyard—why ever stop?
NFL FLAG is a fun and accessible non-contact program for girls and boys ages 5-17. Backed by the NFL with an emphasis on football fundamentals and community involvement, NFL FLAG empowers youth athletes across the nation.
Learn all of the benefits of playing flag football here:
What are the benefits of playing flag football?
Flag football has a lot to offer, from co-ed leagues to competitive tournaments. Here are five important benefits for kids playing flag football:
1. No Contact: Flag football is a non-contact sport, meaning there’s no tackling, diving, blocking, screening or fumbles allowed. Therefore, players aren’t required to wear any heavy equipment, such as helmets and shoulder pads. This creates an approachable atmosphere where kids can learn how to play and develop their skills without the aspect of physical contact.
2. Accessibility: Flag football is an incredibly inclusive sport and opens the doors to many players, including female athletes. In fact, the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) plans to launch the first college sanctioned women’s flag football league in the spring of 2021.
3. Learn the fundamentals: There’s a common myth that flag football doesn’t prepare kids for tackle football—and that simply isn’t true. The basic fundamentals taught in flag football directly transfer to tackle, including catching, throwing, formations, routes, and defensive skills. For example, the way defensive players are required to square up their body and align their head and knees is the exact positioning needed to physically tackle an opponent.
4. Easy commitment: With most leagues only meeting once per week, many families happily squeeze flag football into their packed schedules. Typically, teams practice for about 45 minutes before their game, and then the game itself is usually an hour or less. Of course, some high-level competitive leagues offer more playing time, if that’s something you’re looking for.
5. It’s fun!: Plain and simple, flag football is loads of fun. With fewer players on the field, there’s more engagement and a faster speed of play. Games are quick, competitive and every drive counts, especially in tournaments. It’s the version of football you loved playing in your backyard—why ever stop?
What kind of time commitment should I expect?
With most leagues only meeting once per week, many families easily squeeze flag football into their packed schedules. Typically, teams practice for about 45 minutes before their game, and then the game itself is usually an hour or less. Of course, some high-level competitive leagues offer more playing time, if that’s something you’re looking for.
How do you play flag football?
The first rule of flag football is pretty straight forward: there’s no contact allowed. That includes tackling, blocking, and screening.
Instead, players wear flags that hang along their sides by a belt. To “tackle” the person in possession of the ball, the opposing team needs to pull one or both of their flags off.
This rule, along with several others, serve a single purpose: to keep players safe. From creating “no run zones” to eliminating fumbles, flag football rules are designed to create a fast-paced, engaging version of football without the physical contact.
Follow the link below to read all the important flag football rules you need to know, including the different terms and positions.
What equipment is needed to participate?
How much does it cost to register with Niceville Flag Football League?
We are very competitive, especially with everything entailed in our season. Our Fee is $110.00 which, includes an NFL Reversible Jersey, flag belt, interactive website and plenty of flag football FUN!
Can I pay the registration fee by check?
A: We are accepting credit and debit cards online. If you would like to pay by check or money order, that's fine too. Please email [email protected] for instructions on how to pay by check.
What is your refund policy?
Parents/Legal Guardians will be refunded the cost of registration in full, less the following expenses already incurred:
Any administrative fees incurred by the league (credit card transaction fees, Sports Connect processing fees, etc.) will be withheld from your requested refund.
The cost of any uniform or equipment purchased on behalf of a player will be withheld from your requested refund.
Operational costs incurred by the league (field/facility rentals, field maintenance, etc.)
Niceville Flag Football League would also like to offer:
The league would kindly accept any refunds to be used as a donation to the league. Given the unforeseen circumstances our program has, and continues to be faced with during this pandemic, any donation is greatly appreciated.
How are Divisions sorted?
The league is divided into 4 Divisions
8U Co-Ed, 10U Co-Ed, 12U Co-Ed and 14U Boys and Girls
Combining Divisions: ***Please understand, at the discretion of Niceville Flag Football League, may combine age divisions if there are not enough players in one division to be held on their own. No refunds will be given due to My NFL Flag Football combining divisions***
What is the length of the Flag Football Season?
The anticipated length of the Season is approximately 8 weeks. 7 regular season games, playoff week, and Super Bowl. The Fall 2021 season runs from August 1 - October 31st. These dates are subject to change. **Due to the impact of COVID-19 the Fall 2021 season is subject to cancellation at any time due to the league being unable to meet guidelines required for COVID-19 safety**
Weather Condition Polices
Games will only be cancelled if the fields are deemed to be unplayable. Cancelations will be posted immediately on the website, Facebook, as well as emailed to all the coaches and parents. During the regular season, if there's a game cancellation, there will be no make-ups except for Playoffs. Playoffs are the only games that will be made up if there's a game cancellation
· Any lightning/thunder will result in the current game immediately being called. If the 4th quarter has begun, then the game will be recorded as a final score.
· Any game scheduled to begin within mins of lightning/thunder delay will be cancelled and result in a tie.
Delay of Game due to heavy rain
· If a game is delayed 15mins or more due to heavy rain, and the game is in progress, then the game will be called and the game will result in a tie.
· If a game is delayed due to heavy rain and the 4th quarter has begun, then the game will be called and recorded as a final score.
Cancelled Games due to weather conditions
· If a game cannot begin within 15mins after its scheduled time due to weather conditions, the game will be cancelled and result in a tie.
My child wants to "Play Up" into the next age group, is that possible?
Yes. Playing up into the next age division is allowed. Since the registration system automatically places players into Divisions based on their age, simply add a note in the "Special Requests" field on the registration form to let us know that you would like your child to play up into the next Division and we will make the change. Alternately, you may email us your request. We do not, however, allow "playing down" into a younger Age Division, to be fair to the younger kids.
How are the teams picked?
All Efforts are made to accommodate siblings and friend requests and in most cases are granted. An effort is also made to put kids from the same area on the same team. Friend requests are NOT guaranteed.
When, where and how often is practice?
Coaches will determine what day(s) and location practice will be held. Each team will practice a minimum 1 hour a week and no more than 3 hours a week.
Do you have a copy of the Rule Book?
Yes, click https://clubs.bluesombrero.com/Portals/51405/docs/Sports Connect-Niceville Flag Football League Inc-Documents/2017-REGULAR-SEASON-RULEBOOK.pdf
When will I hear from my Coach?
You will receive an email from the league as soon as your child has been placed on a team indicating the team information schedule and coach's information. Your coach will contact you at least two weeks prior to the start of the season to introduce themselves. If you haven't heard from your coach and the first game is less than a week away, please contact us for information.
I have other questions. Who do I contact?
You may contact us by email at [email protected]