New Page 2
Want to become a referee?
If you are interested in become a referee for Chelmsford Youth Soccer (CYSA) you must meet the following requirements:
1) You are at least 12 years old (to referee CYSA U8 and/or U10 Intramural matches)
2) You are at least 14 years old (to referee CYSA U10, U12 and U14 MYSL Travel matches)
3) Have a basic understanding of the Laws of the Game
4) Are willing to undergo the required training and maintain your certification each year
The following three steps are required to be eligible to referee for CYSA:
1) For 12 & 13 year olds: Take the CYSA Intramural referee certification course
2) For 14 year olds: Take the Grade-8 referee certification course with the Massachusetts State Referee Committee (MSRC)
3) Register to referee with the CYSA Referee Director
4) Obtain a referee uniform
Take a referee certification course with MSRC
Referees who are assigned MYSL Travel games by Chelmsford Youth Soccer are certified by the Massachusetts State Referee Committee (MSRC). This is a requirement to referee for any organization registered and insured through Massachusetts Youth Soccer. To certify go to the MSRC website at www.massref.net and register for a grade 8 certification course. Grade 8 referees are 14 years old and older. A couple of important points about MSRC courses:
1) The courses are offered from January to March and again from July to August
2) Courses fill up quickly, so plan ahead to find the course location and date that works best for you
3) Certification is good for one year
4) Upon completion you will receive a patch with your grade and year of certification
Register to referee with the CYSA Referee Director
To register as a referee email the CYSA Referee Director at email@example.com. Provide the referee director with the following information:
3) Date of MSRC Course (completed or planned date of course)
4) Email address
5) Phone Number
The referee director will add you to the CYSA referee database. You will then receive important CYSA referee news along with emails asking for your availability to work games during the season.
Obtain a uniform
The uniform is an important part of your tool kit when working as a referee for CYSA. The uniform requirements for MYSL Travel game assignments consists of a yellow referee shirt, black shorts, referee socks (black, to the knee, with three white stripes), a whistle and a time keeping device. Cell phones, ipods, ipads are not acceptable time keeping devices. Most referees find that a wrist-watch with the ‘stopwatch’ function works best but basic stop watches work well also. Uniforms can be obtained any many local sporting good stores such as Soccer Stuff in Acton. There are also many online sites to purchase a uniform.
The referee uniform requirements for CYSA Intramural U8 and/or U10 games is a CYSA Intramural Referee shirt (provided by CYSA), black shorts, referee socks (black, to the knee, with 3 white stripes), a whistle and time keeping device (wrist-watch). The Referee Director will hold a training session for CYSA Intramural Referees at the beginning of each season. The CYSA U8 program is where all youth referees will begin working games. U8 games are played with a 4v4 format and no goalkeepers. All new CYSA Intramural Referees must attend this training session.
New Grade 8 referees will work with the CYSA Referee Director to determine the appropriate competition level to begin their referee career.